History of the farmhouse and the Emme Lodge
Samuel Lehmann, the builder of the house, grew up in a ritch family. His father, with the same Name was blackpowder Producer, judge and captain in Langnau. After his death in 1750 inherited the at that time, 25 year old Samuel Lehmann the old farmhouse, the blackpowder Company and a lot of land.
1764 in this year People speak about a big flow of the river Ilfis which happened in august. Samuel Lehmann became in 1766 a right to buildt at the parcel of another farm in Dorfschachen. That Farmers house was flushed away after the big flow.. the neaberhoud of the old house to the blackpowder Company was dangerous. Between 1629 and 1750 the blackpowder Company blew up nine times. on the “Gassen or Genssen Matte” in the North of the old house, Samuel buildt a new house in 1768.
1768 is known as construction year. This we know from the annual countings of the habitans of Langnau. eyewitnesses told about an inscription with the date 1768. Untill they sold the house to the town of Langnau, the house always was inside the Family Lehmann.
1789 Samuel Lehmann deid and his three sons Samuel, Johannes und Christian inherit together an old farmhouse, a blackpowder Company and the new farmhouse which is now the Emme Lodge.
1810 they splitted the real property and the jungest son took the new farmhouse for his part.
1851 the farmhouse was given to the jungest son Jakob. After the death of Jakob in 1898 his son, with the same name, took over the farm, first together with two of his brothers, untill he bought their parts in 1905. After that he worked on the farm untill he sold it to the town of Langnau in 1945.
1945 the town of Langnau bought the farmhouse with 375acres of land freom Jakob Lehmann. ” to give citicans of the town of Langnau the possibility to own an piece of land against good conditions to build their own houses”, as written inside the councel protocal.
1952 an youth hostel was opened underneed the roof at the new sprts hall at the School of Oberfeld by the non Profit Group of housewifes of Langnau. After a fire the youth hostel found a new stay inside the “Chüechlihus”. In 1960 the Chüechlihus was transformed into a local historical Museum and the youth hostel found a new stay inside the farmhous of the Lehmanns.
1960 Jakob Lehmann left his farmhouse and went into his new farm in Kehr.
1967 the town of Langnau gives the farmhouse to the foundation youth house Langnau to protect and preserved the house which is monumental. They filled the house with a youth centre as well as the already existing youth hostel. in the seventees the foundation also became ownwer of an old storage Building, called Spycher at the North side of the farmhouse..
2004/2005 Renavation of the youth house. New kitchen, toilets and showers were build in. Modern installations were taken. Inside rooms were changed and situated and modern media technic was build in. Still the house needed to be kept as historical heritage as it is an important building inside the Emmentaler landscape.
2012 the youth hostel becomes the name of Emme Lodge. The concept from the youth hostel Group Switserland demanded a lot of changes which could not be done due to the heritage stuation. Still inspite of the change of the name, the Emme Lodge stays a place for Groups, Singles, youth, walkers, hiker, bikelovers and Backpacker.
2016 Since the first of August the foundation youth house leased out the Emme Lodge to Karin und Jos Peperkamp-Zaugg. They take over the work of the non Profit Group of housewives as keepers of shelter inside the town of Langnau. The non Profit Group ended their Engagement as hosts after 64 years.
Source: Ester Adeyemi, November 1993 und Frauenverein Januar 2017